Thursday, May 6, 2010

豆ご飯

The vegetable market has been my shopping destination these days.  There are lots of fresh veggies, but the one I am addicted to is the "Peas (えんどう豆)."  When I was a kid, it was one of my jobs to take the peas out of the pods, so that my mother can make 豆ご飯 (rice with peas).  And, yes, it was my favorite, too.

I realized that I haven't had 豆ご飯 for such a long time, I decided to make it.  Since I don't have a rice cooker here, I had to make it in a pot, but it worked out great.  You rinse rice as usual, put water as usual, then put rinsed peas in it, add 1 tbs sake, 1/3 tea spoon salt (sea salt recommended), and a piece of dashi-kobu. 

I wonder if it is a sign of luckiness.  I found a pod with only one pea :)  It was sitting quietly by itself in a pod.  It looked like a beautiful green pearl.

Pea has a strong relationship with Brno, as Mendel who studied the inheritance of certain traits in pea plants.  His lab is within 5 mins walk from our apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment