Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Zelný Trh (Vegetable Market) in Brno

The first Saturday morning after coming back from my long trip, my hubby and I went for a walk to the vegetable market five mins walk from our apartment. Yes, the spring is truely here!

In fact, the marekt is open every day, and you get to buy fresh veggies, fruits, eggs, and flowers.  The good thing is the veggies are not pre-packaged, so you get to buy as much as you need, and whatever you buy there is fresh and cheap! During the winter time, the prices for the vegetables are much higher I heard.  Indeed they did come down. A head of pinapple costs only $1.75 (I would have to imagine, though, that these pinapples are not locally grown)!  And, the other day I got three eggplants, some peas, and two tomatoes, and the total cost was less than $2.50!  And the tomatoes tasted just like the tomatoes I used to eat when I was a kid in Japan.  I could almost taste the earth.  I loved it!!

After getting rid of my fish-deficiency in Japan, I thought I may be able to go back to the meat-based meals easily, but it didn't work out that way.  I somewhat developed anti-meat feelings. Now that the vegetable market is open every day, I could maybe live on veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment