Monday, February 8, 2010

One month anniversary

It has been exactly a month since we arrived to this winter wonderland! All three of us definitely settled in, and a month passed just like that (snap!).  I already got involved in a small project and spent the last 1.5 weeks working on that. It was an intense 1.5 weeks, but actually working seem to help you feel more at home, somehow. 

gG seems to be a bit bored without being able to go outside, but he has been doing just fine. Since he lost the exercise opportunity of following me around the big house, he started to put on some weight, which is good as he was very skinny.  But he shall need to exercise some more.  Maybe I will take him out in a snow for a walk.

The challenge here is the language.  I heard most of the young people speak English, but I haven't had a luck meeting anyone who can speak English in any of the grocery stores that I go to.  It takes a long time for me to find even a simple thing like flour.  So the strategy I came up with was to make a shopping list and translate them using Google Traslate in advance.  If I can't find something, I would just show the list and have a clerk help me find the item.  It works most of the time, but not all the time.  The other day, I was trying to buy a corn starch (kukuřičný škrob), and the clerk brought me a can of corn :)  Later I found out that Czech people don't use corn starch.  Instead they use potato starch, which is called bramborový škrob.  Another time was when we were looking for a sour cream, and we were shown a liquid cream.  So, yes, there is a challenge.  The best thing would be to learn some Czech!

No comments:

Post a Comment