Sunday, February 7, 2010

Finally found Natto (fermented soybeans)!

I have been having a serious craving for Japanese food ever since I got here. I really don't know what it is that we, Japanese, have. You would be surprised to find out that most tourists coming to the US from Japan would prefer going to the Japanese restaurants in the US. They would arrive to the US, and the first thing they want to eat is rice or udon! The famous story is that Kimiko Date, the famous tennis player, used to take her rice cooker wherever she travelled. And to be honese, I would understand that. Although I am not a big rice eater, I miss Japanese food especially when you know you can't easily get it.

So, I wrote in my previous blog that I managed to find Tofu at the Vietnamees' market, but I was still missing stuff like "Umeboshi" or "Natto." I knew there was a Japanese store (probably the only Japanese store in Brno) behind the sushi restaurant called Koishi. My hubby goes there a lot to get some liquid that he loves (yeah, yeah, people who know him would know what kind of liquid that I am talking here), but he told me that he could not find Tofu, Umeboshi, or Natto.

We had a chance to go back to the sushi place again (yay!), so I peaked into the store.  Guess what?  I found Tofu(!), Umeboshi, and Natto! I also found some instant noodles, which are not my favorite but they would serve the purpose of me getting rid of my crazy cravings. So, here you go. I got all of them! Prices are rather high compared to LA, but these should improve my life :)

1 comment:

  1. hey so glad i found this blog, because i want to try natto :D can you tell the price of it? i have no idea if it will be expensive or not :P
    thank you :D

    ReplyDelete